I forgot to mention that this weekend marked three years the boys have been at home with us! They had a 26 day stay in the NICU since they arrived in this world six weeks and one day early. While the boys were healthy and had no complications aside from their prematurity, it was a grueling stay for us as parents. To not hold your baby until the next day after he is born. To see the cords, needles and monitors attached to your children. To not have an answer to everyone's favorite question, "when are they coming home," because the doctors themselves don't know. To be isolated in a corner of the hospital with few visitors. To not spend a night in your own bed. For 26 days.
I remember the day we left that hospital. I didn't look back and God willing I'll never go back there again. Although we owe the doctors and staff at the Iowa Children's Hospital so many thanks for our healthy sons, our time there was a trial, it was an agonizing, anxiety riddled, God-awful 26 days waiting for our babies to grow and get strong enough to come home.
As we drove home for the first time together as a family, with our two boys cooing in the back of the car, I looked over at Brad and everything was as perfect as it possibly could have been. I thought to myself, a mack truck could hit us head on, and I would die the happiest I've ever been.
I remember the day we left that hospital. I didn't look back and God willing I'll never go back there again. Although we owe the doctors and staff at the Iowa Children's Hospital so many thanks for our healthy sons, our time there was a trial, it was an agonizing, anxiety riddled, God-awful 26 days waiting for our babies to grow and get strong enough to come home.
As we drove home for the first time together as a family, with our two boys cooing in the back of the car, I looked over at Brad and everything was as perfect as it possibly could have been. I thought to myself, a mack truck could hit us head on, and I would die the happiest I've ever been.
We are so grateful to have Charlie & Eli is our lives.
ReplyDeleteLove, Grandma